A Law Inspired by Sociological Theory and the Work of Asimov:
As the subheading above says, my law of humanity (hence why it carries my last name), is heavily inspired by Asimov’s “Law of Robotics” which goes as follows:
- A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
- A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
- A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.
I have long wondered, for many years as a young sociologist, whether a simplistic system similar to these laws governing robots (at least in sci-fi), could be created for people?
Now keep in mind, that these laws are just based on my own views of the world and what I think would work as simple concepts to govern humanity, or rather, to ensure coexistence. Even as I type these to you, they keep reminding me of the old George Carlin bit, about how easily the 10 commandments of the bible (of which neither he nor I were ever a believer), could be boiled down to just 2-3. but without further delay, here is my attempt at some simple laws:
- Humans are not allowed to curb or in other ways prohibit the free agency and self-determination of others; Be it through violence, enslavement or instiutionalized discrimination etc.
– let people be themselves basically
- Humans may not harm other humans; Be it physically through violence of any kind, through robbing people, ridiculing them etc. No harm may be caused to other people.
– Don’t be an asshole basically
- Any of the above laws, may only be circumvented in order to protect your own life or the life of a human being. In other words, only when someone else breaks the laws, may you do so, but only in order to stop them or protect others.
– Through this, the first 2 laws will thus because of the 3rd law, not allow hate groups to exist, nor institutions that rob other peoples freedom such as Neo-Nazi’s and the Catholic church to name a couple.
Keep in mind, these are my own opinions and inspired from my own life experience, I hope they are not too clumsily formulated, else I am more than happy to hear suggestions of how to improve upon them.
But these are, non the less, some basic laws of humanity, that I feel would simplify a lot of the world. It is not meant to overwrite governments or anything, but more meant as an inspiration, of a simple philosophy with which to view life, especially social life AKA life among other humans.
I hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I am happy for any support you may send my way.
Thank you and stay awesome!